Berlin – Haus des Lehrers

Berlin – Haus des Lehrers

An impression from Berlin, with a detail of the Haus des Lehrers (“House of the Teacher”) at Alexanderplatz.

The Haus des Lehrers was built in 1961-64 in the then capital of the GDR. The building is famous for the surrounding mosaic frieze by the GDR state artist Walter Womacka (1925 – 2010).

The photo shows a detail of this mosaic. The work is entitled “Unser Leben” (“Our Life”); measuring 127 x 7m, it is one of the largest works of art in Europe.

Countries & Regions